Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The City vs. Suburbia

In a heavyweight sumo mudwrestling match between The City and Suburbia, who would win?

Let's talk about Suburbia for a minute - I have to drive (with gas over $4 a gallon) to and from work 35 minutes every day. Sometimes there's traffic (roadwork, accidents, idiots...you know, the norm) which is obviously aggravating. After work, I often stop at the supermarket to pick up ingredients for dinner. I have major issues finding produce, let alone healthy-looking, organic produce. Or anything whole grain, whole wheat, unprocessed without a ton of sugar and salt and chemicals in it. I make dinner in a house with no one to eat it and tell me how good it is because all my friends are in The City. Since all the music and art and culture and people are in town, I usually go there at night for a show or plans. Hello to another 35 minute drive (did I mention gas is over $4 a gallon). Then I can't stay too late because I have to drive back home to get to bed to start it all over again.

In The City (and I'm generally referencing cities, but I'm thinking mostly of NYC), I walk to work - or take the subway. Never any traffic or gas prices. I can walk a block or two to a bodega at any time and they are littered with healthy, unprocessed, fresh food - lots of local & organic. Then, the there are usually at least 10 things to do every night and they're usually within your neighborhood. Sure, it's dirtier and things like food are more expensive, but when you think about how much gas money you're saving - it makes it all worth it. Sure, it's nice to have a big kitchen, in a rent-free house (thanks Mom) with central air, a dishwasher, OnDemand and a washer/dryer - but the isolation from everything and gas expense kills it all.

Ok Suburbia, I've had enough of you. Get a grip.
I vote City! Luckily, I'll be up in NYC three weekends in a row starting this weekend. This weekend is The Bloodsugars at Pianos & Siren Music Festival to see Ra Ra Riot & Broken Social Scene! See you there!

GREAT THING 002: Yelp.com, My Yelp
Yelp is the fun and easy way to find, review and talk about what's great (and not so great) in your world. You already know that asking friends is the best way to find restaurants, dentists, hairstylists, and anything local. Yelp makes it fast and easy by collecting and organizing your friends' recommendations in one convenient place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I vote Kibbutz!

But that's just me...

You gotta pick your own fruit!