Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ra Ra Riot's The Rhumb Line Out today!


The print above is one of my all-time favorites. It's based off a photo I took when Ra Ra Riot was playing in the Schine Underground at Syracuse University a year or two back. It features Wes Miles, who is still the band's frontman, and Shaw Flick who is now a happy newlywed! They've come so far since then...

I feel like this has turned into the all-Ra Ra Riot, all the time channel. I don't mean it to be like that, it's just an exciting time. They got another great review, this time in Pitchfork, which I like a whole lot better than the RS one (see below).

And The Rhumb Line is out today! If you're in NYC, make sure you go over to the Virgin Store in Union Sq. around 7pm for their in-store performance and get your copy of the album. Also, they're going to be on Conan O'Brien on Sept 2. Check out their website for tour dates and more info about what's going on with them.

I'm going to give you some new music so you know that RRR is not all on my mind, or my ipod...

Bad Viens is a duo from Cinncinnati, OH that I originally saw at Pianos when I was working there. I was initially intrigued because the guy was singing through a freakin phone, a house phone...who even had them anymore? And was using a reel to reel. Their set was nothing short of enjoyable and they're apparently playing with VHS or Beta in Kentucky on 8/22.

VHS or Beta seems to play with some really amazing bands. When they played in Rochester this past spring, my friends Magic Hour opened for them and they came back to recommend another one of my favorites these days — Brooklyn's Tigercity. They remind me of Prince in that they are totally built for dancing. Their high-pitched male vocals are subtle, but produce an intense lust in the listener. It's impossible to resist.

Bad Veins - "Gold & Warm"
Ra Ra Riot -"Dying is Fine"
Tigercity - "Powerstripe"

No comments: